House History

A substantial mansion marked on Colby’s Map of 1831 and on modern OS maps off the old B4570 road two miles east of Cardigan and near St. Cynllo’s well, which is said to have healing properties. This attractive mansion was built early in the 18th century.

At the beginning of the 18th century Lewis Turnor of Crug-mawr married Maud John of Treforgan who had inherited one third of the estate by the will of her father. Another daughter had married David Bowen who is recorded as freeholder of Treforgan in 1760.

Evan Davies of Cardigan, attorney, was buider of the present mansion of Treforgan at the beggining of the 19th century. He married Margaret, daughter of Archdeacon Benjamin Millinchamp, who made his fortune in India by Anne Gambold, grand-daughter of publisher William Gambold. Evan Davies died in 1832 and his wife on 11 December 1837. They had two daughters, Anne Eliza who married Thomas Lewis Lloyd of Nanthwyllt near Rhaeadr and Wern Newydd, Llanarth, and Jane Catherine, who is given as of Treforgan 1832. Thomas Lewis Lloyd and his wife spent their winterss at Treforgan. Whilst Anne travelled the sixty miles in a travelling-coach, her husband would ride from early morning utilising all known short cuts and arrive at Treforgan late at night. For twenty years Maria Webley-Parry, formerly of Neuadd Trefawr, rented and lived at Treforgan in preference to Parc-y-gors, the dower-house of Neuadd.

A photograph in the Tivyside Photographic souvenir, taken between 1860-70 shows a square type house, probably 18th century with two storeys, a pillared entrance, doorway with decorated fanlight. On one side is a wing of the two storeys which is probably older than the main block.

Treforgan was later the home of Archdeacon William North, rector of Llan-goedmor (one time professor of Latin at St. Davids, Lampeter) who died in 1893 at a great age. His household was conductedd on very primitive lines. He farmed and his ancient, clumsy cart horses were used to draw the heavy chariot wherin he made his official visitations…he also had a curious short-horn bull, coloured purple and pink. It was said that he could write poetry in seven languages.

He translated some Welsh poetry for the benefit of Carmen Sylvia, Queen of Romania, when that literary potentate once attended the National Eisteddfod. Archdeacon North preached and conducted services in Welsh and English and his services were always two hours in length. In ‘County Families’ Nicholas tells us that Treforgan was the property of Evan Davie’s great-grandson, Colonel Herbert Lloyd. In Llangoedmor church is a memorial to Col. George Evan Lloyd, CB, DSO, Duke of Wellington’s West riding Regiment, of Treforagn, who was killed at the Rhenoster kop, Transvaal on 20th November 1900. He was the son of the Rev. Prebendary J. Rhys Lloyd RD, born at Bronwydd, rector of Troed-yr-aur and the grandson of Thomas Lloyd of Nantgwyllt, a connection of Llangoedmor through his mother. By 1901, Treforgan had become the home of Col. W.R. Picton Evans, Col. W.R. Picton Evans, formerly of the prior, Cardigan,a well known public servant in Cardiganshire, whose daughter, Cecil Elizabeth married Lieut. G.H. Finzel in CapeTown, South Africa in 1903. In 1912 it was owned by John Griffiths, formerly of Pantgwyn and in 1925, Brimley Jones and his daughter lived at Treforgan.

In 1994 Treforgan became the home of Mr. and Mrs. Danny Shamtally. They have fully restored both the house and surroundings, including a beautiful formal walled garden.